CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › CHUD.COM Main › The Dead Celebrity Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Dead Celebrity Thread - Page 223

post #11101 of 11167

 

 

post #11102 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 

I don't think Judas was saying he rubbed one out to the album. I think he meant he played the crap out of it.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 

And there's no reason to apologize for liking Heat of the Moment. Yeah, it's pop rock but it's really good pop rock. Lyrics are solid, that guitar riff fucking rocks your face off, and there's a desperate melancholy to it that elevates it from a lot of top 40 stuff.

 

Hell, there's a lot of great stuff on that first album. HotM, Only Time Will Tell, Wildest Dreams, Here Comes the Feeling...all solidly good-to-great tunes.

 

I was heavily, heavily into the band Yes when this Asia album came out.  Being a fan of Steve Howe, I really got into it.  While it's not very Yes-like and far more commercial than what he typically did, he's pretty great on it with some fantastic guitar work.  The guitar solo outro on HotM is fantastic.

post #11103 of 11167
Yeah, the main thing about Asia for me is that it's not at all what you'd expect it to be looking at the cast of prog all-stars that were involved - but it is really solid '80s pop-rock.
post #11104 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

Yeah, the main thing about Asia for me is that it's not at all what you'd expect it to be looking at the cast of prog all-stars that were involved - but it is really solid '80s pop-rock.

 

While the album is pretty straightforward for the most part, there are just enough prog-flourishes sprinkled throughout the album to remind you of just how good the players actually are.  I mentioned Steve Howe already, but Carl Palmer is absolutely on fire on many of the tracks.

 

My only real concern with the album is with the overly bright keyboards.  That's Geoff Downs for ya, though.  He sounded the same in The Buggles and on his one album with Yes.

post #11105 of 11167
I'm probably just a little spoiled because '80s Pop Yes struck a balance more to my liking (at least on 90125.)
post #11106 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

I'm probably just a little spoiled because '80s Pop Yes struck a balance more to my liking (at least on 90125.)

 

90125 is in my top 10 albums of all time.  I was pleased beyond belief when they played most of it for the TALK tour (I about shit my pants when they did 'Hearts').  Give the 'Drama' album a go sometime, though.  It's the one prior to 90125 and has Steve Howe and Geoff Downes on it, with Trevor Rabin (producer of 90125) doing lead vocals.  It's very strong and heavier than most of the classic Yes albums.  It also features some of the best basslines that Chris Squire ever performed.

 

post #11107 of 11167

FYI, there's a very good remastered version of 90125 available for next to nothing. 

 

And that is a fucking great album. Of its time, sure, but still great.

post #11108 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 

FYI, there's a very good remastered version of 90125 available for next to nothing. 

 

And that is a fucking great album. Of its time, sure, but still great.

 

I've got that remastered album.  It's worth 3x the price, especially for 'Leave it'.

post #11109 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Give the 'Drama' album a go sometime, though.  It's the one prior to 90125 and has Steve Howe and Geoff Downes on it, with Trevor Rabin (producer of 90125) doing lead vocals.  It's very strong and heavier than most of the classic Yes albums.  It also features some of the best basslines that Chris Squire ever performed.
Well, I figured that was more '80s New Wave Yes, but yeah, Drama kicks all the ass.
post #11110 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post


Well, I figured that was more '80s New Wave Yes, but yeah, Drama kicks all the ass.

 

Of note, the DRAMA album was a personal favorite of both How and Squire.  Unfortunately, Jon Anderson refused to sing any songs off of it, so none of those killer songs made it into any set lists until Jon left the band (again).  When they got their new singer, both 'Machine Messiah' and 'Tempus Fugit' became regular staples of their live shows.

post #11111 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 

FYI, there's a very good remastered version of 90125 available for next to nothing. 

 

And that is a fucking great album. Of its time, sure, but still great.

 

I've got that remastered album.  It's worth 3x the price, especially for 'Leave it'.

 

City of Love and Hearts are my faves of that album.

post #11112 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
 

 

City of Love and Hearts are my faves of that album.

 

'Hearts' was absolutely incredible live.  Indeed, that entire concert (for the TALK album, which is vastly underrated) was fantastic.  We saw them about a month after seeing PInk Floyd for THE DIVISION BELL, and we all agreed that Yes was better.

post #11113 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

 

Jesus...Carl Palmer has gotta be wondering if he's secretly the Piers Anthony incarnation of Death.

 

 

I saw Anthony's name in this thread and got sad for a sec. Okay, complete tangent... but I really wish someone would make a movie or TV series out of those books. They'd be terrific.

post #11114 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
 

 

I saw Anthony's name in this thread and got sad for a sec. Okay, complete tangent... but I really wish someone would make a movie or TV series out of those books. They'd be terrific.

 

I loved 2 of them.  The Death and War ones were awesome but the rest were ok at best.  A long form TV adaptation that merged all of the books (focusing on Death) could be fantastic.

post #11115 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

 

'Hearts' was absolutely incredible live.  Indeed, that entire concert (for the TALK album, which is vastly underrated) was fantastic.  We saw them about a month after seeing PInk Floyd for THE DIVISION BELL, and we all agreed that Yes was better.

 

As good as "It Can Happen" and "Changes" are (compared to the OK but not great "Owner of a Lonely Heart"* and "Hold On"), it's what was originally side 2 of the album - "Leave It" through "Hearts" - that contains the greatness. "Our Song" is fucking magic as well.

post #11116 of 11167

I just looked in on this thread and for a moment I thought 80s pop was dead.

post #11117 of 11167
Um, yeah. So, about John Wetton...
post #11118 of 11167

After working on this for a few days, here and there, I'm calling it done.

 

John Hurt

 

 

post #11119 of 11167

Christ, I see 11 posts in this thread, and you guys are still talking about Yes and Asia.

 

Also: Very nice, Smugbug.

post #11120 of 11167

Mary

 

post #11121 of 11167

Finally going to complete "Gene" today...

 

post #11122 of 11167
Sad news. Joost van der Westhuizen, outstanding South African Rugby player. Only 45, from Motor Neurone disease. Nice write up from Matt Dawson:


http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38884906
post #11123 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

 

'Hearts' was absolutely incredible live.  Indeed, that entire concert (for the TALK album, which is vastly underrated) was fantastic.  We saw them about a month after seeing PInk Floyd for THE DIVISION BELL, and we all agreed that Yes was better.


Pity about 'Big Generator', though...

post #11124 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
 


Pity about 'Big Generator', though...

 

It tries way too hard to be '90125 part 2'.  There are some good songs on there but yeah, it's not a patch on the preceding effort.  It's really too bad that 'Talk' wasn't the follow-up to '90125' because it got completely lost in the shuffle.

post #11125 of 11167
Yeah, Big Generator is the only Yes album I own that I've only listened to once. I really need to dig into the later stuff more, though.
post #11126 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

Yeah, Big Generator is the only Yes album I own that I've only listened to once. I really need to dig into the later stuff more, though.

 

I listen to 'Rhythm of Love' and 'Love Will Find a Way' (the two singles), that's it.  The rest is filler, and pretty bad filler at that.

post #11127 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post
 

 

I listen to 'Rhythm of Love' and 'Love Will Find a Way' (the two singles), that's it.  The rest is filler, and pretty bad filler at that.


Yup, you picked 'em.

 

I actually enjoy 'Magnification' more than I should...

post #11128 of 11167

You guys had me thinking another Yes alumnus had popped it.

post #11129 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
 

You guys had me thinking another Yes alumnus had popped it.

 

No.

post #11130 of 11167

Yep.  I keep thinking someone else must have died due to the post count, but no.  Just still talking about Yes.

post #11131 of 11167
post #11132 of 11167

Yes, I can confirm his passing.

post #11133 of 11167

From Eddie J. Olmos' Twitter:

 

Quote:
 .Richard Hatch you made our universe a better place We love you for it. Rest In Peace my friend
post #11134 of 11167

Not for him, technically, but still feels appropriate.

 

 

 

RIP Apollo/Tom Zarek.

post #11135 of 11167

I loved BSG when I was a kid. Hatch was good on the reboot of the show.  Leading the munity in the last season gave him great material to work with. While I didn't agree with his actions, I could see how from his point of view, he thought he was doing the right thing.

post #11136 of 11167

He was so good in the original (and to me the best) BSG. Who didn't enjoy the adventures of Apollo and Starbuck, fighting against those cool ass Cylons?

 

I'll never forget riding the Universal Studios Tour in 1987 where we were surrounded by Cylons and a laser battle between them and Apollo/Starbuck ensued. So fucking awesome.


Edited by Headless Fett - 2/7/17 at 7:05pm
post #11137 of 11167
Let's not forget his turn as the "kendo sword"-wielding itinerant handyman hero of the spectularly terrible Prisoners of the Lost Universe.
post #11138 of 11167
Aw man, that sucks. I grew up with the original BG.

However, and purely selfishly, I am relieved that this is no longer the Dead Musical Taste Thread.
post #11139 of 11167

That sucks. I was impressed by how he took what could've been a piece of stunt casting with his role in the new BSG, and made a real character out of it.

post #11140 of 11167
Socialite and Prince Charles' Goddaughter, Tara Palmer-Tomkinson, only 45:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/
post #11141 of 11167
45????

Christ.
post #11142 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post
 

He was so good in the original (and to me the best) BSG. Who didn't enjoy the adventures of Apollo and Starbuck, fighting against those cool ass Cylons?

 

I'll never forget riding the Universal Studios Tour in 1987 where we were surrounded by Cylons and a laser battle between them and Apollo/Starbuck ensued. So fucking awesome.

 

You're Goddamn right!

 

R.I.P. Apollo.

post #11143 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

R.I.P. Apollo.

Saw this in the preview and thought Carl Weathers had died. Give my heart a break.
post #11144 of 11167
post #11145 of 11167

What a wondrous talent he was. 

post #11146 of 11167
Al always equaled MOONLIGHTING for me. Not a bad connotation at all when you think of it.
post #11147 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Al always equaled MOONLIGHTING for me. Not a bad connotation at all when you think of it.

OMG thank you for the reminder. I can't believe I forgot that.
post #11148 of 11167

Michael Ironside was in the Pilot?

 

post #11149 of 11167
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

Michael Ironside was in the Pilot?



Damn you Felix, you gave me a heart attack!

Any time you post in this thread and decide to open with the name of someone who isn't dead you MUST begin with, using your example: "Michael Ironside LIVES, but..."
post #11150 of 11167

Point taken. My mistake.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: CHUD.COM Main
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › CHUD.COM Main › The Dead Celebrity Thread