CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › CHUD.COM Main › NEW HOMEPAGE DESIGN DISCUSSION
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW HOMEPAGE DESIGN DISCUSSION - Page 6

post #251 of 427

Have a peek.

 

http://www.chud.com

post #252 of 427

I like it! I'd still reduce the amount of content, and move the Discussion Board links either to the top or bottom.

post #253 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

I like it! I'd still reduce the amount of content...

 

Or at least alter it so the same article doesn't appear four or five different times.  It gives the appearance that there's not a lot of content.

post #254 of 427

Today was a marathon, folks!  Nick, Jeremy and I collaborated almost constantly to iterate something that is extremely effective at getting you to the content you love.  We hope you like it.

 

If you see something weird, please send screenshots.

post #255 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

I like it! I'd still reduce the amount of content, and move the Discussion Board links either to the top or bottom.

We tried it at the top at first but it didn't look right, we may see how it looks at the bottom, though the main concern at the moment was making sure that ad was as close to up top as possible and the Community stuff served as a nice counterbalance to it.  So we'll see.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

 

Or at least alter it so the same article doesn't appear four or five different times.  It gives the appearance that there's not a lot of content.

We spent a LOT of time going over that and I think we did a good job for the moment, but we're going to run into that for the next little bit because you'e right - there isn't a lot of fresh stuff pouring in.  But we're working on that too.

post #256 of 427

Also, love it or hate it all the hi-fives to Brad who totally kicked ass today.

post #257 of 427

Okay, I must have seen an older version, because what I see now is completely different and doesn't have that issue.

post #258 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

Okay, I must have seen an older version, because what I see now is completely different and doesn't have that issue.

There were some small issues with shit getting jammed up in the caches.

post #259 of 427

Even though there are even more headings now for different types of columns, the layout makes them much more clearly divided and navigable. Big improvement. The large, white text for the different headings, along with physically separating them from each other more, helps. It feels much more easy to navigate, in spite of everything I said. I think it can be taken even further as a design element.

 

I'll second moving the forum discussions part somewhere else. It just seems oddly placed in the middle of the page. Particularly when there isn't a direct link to the forums on the home page. How about adding one? Or maybe even a forum link on the home page that has the drop down of all the forums from the home page. It might bring people you don't want posting, but that's what rules and mods are for.

post #260 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt poop View Post

I'll second moving the forum discussions part somewhere else. It just seems oddly placed in the middle of the page. Particularly when there isn't a direct link to the forums on the home page. How about adding one? Or maybe even a forum link on the home page that has the drop down of all the forums from the home page. It might bring people you don't want posting, but that's what rules and mods are for.

Top left of the page are two buttons - one says CHUD the other says COMMUNITY.  Bingo-bango.  And again, moving that Community section down is something we'll have to look at and see.

 

EDIT - also, each of those thread listings is a link to that thread.  So the Community Section IS active (or interactive, as it were).  But we hear you - you guys think it would look better at the bottom.  In a lot of ways I agree with you but we have to figure out what to do with that ad, so let us pow-wow on it.  But ultimately, if it stays where it's at don't think it was because we weren't listening.

post #261 of 427
Its better, but really what the last update should have been. Its still too cluttered and pretty much unusable to anyone who doesn't have access to a large computer monitor.

You need to kill the giant header and make the menu bigger and a cleaner font. Also get rid of the graphics except the logo. Its taking up space and adds nothing.

Actually make the menu usable as right now its basically a polite courtesy to have it at all when the navigation is all over the main page. You also need to make thr social media aspect stand out more. The buttons you have are horfible and worthless for drawing attention.

If you have a central column for latest updates itll be easier to use on multiple devices. Then the menu will change that column depending on the choice you select.

This isn't about me being prissy with 'my ideas' its common sense, audience awareness and industry standards.

You're losing readers by forging on in the direction you are. Rather than listening to 50 biased opinions, try and make it for the potential 50,000 more readers per month. And money that will bring in.
post #262 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCE View Post

Its still too cluttered. Its pretty much unusable to anyone who doesn't have access to a large computer monitor. You need to kill the header and make the menu bigger and a cleaner font.

Actually make the menu usable as right now its basically a polite courtesy to have it at all when the navigation is all over the main page.

If you have a central column for latest updates itll be easier to use on multiple devices. Then the menu will change that column depending on the choice you select.

This isn't about me being prissy with 'my ideas' its common sense, audience awareness and industry standards.

You're losing readers by forging on in the direction you are. Rather than listening to 50 biased opinions, try and make it for the potential 50,000 more readers per month. And money that will bring in.

 

We're headed in  a lot of directions you have described, but we've chosen to iterate quickly, rather than unload one massive change all at once.  As a result, you're seeing one area get updated at a time.

The header/menu is next!  We're currently using around 500px to display the same bit of information on every page.  We'll be paring that down to ~150px.

 

Thanks for your feedback.

post #263 of 427
It's not feedback, but advice. Because you appear to be terrible at your job.
post #264 of 427

Well Sean you've made your opinions well, well known.  At this point it'd be best if you just left it at that because while we're all about constructive (Dickson and stunt poop and Cylon) you're basically just trashing the place and that's not really cool.

post #265 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCE View Post

It's not feedback, but advice. Because you appear to be terrible at your job.

 



Can't win 'em all.

post #266 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGButler View Post

Top left of the page are two buttons - one says CHUD the other says COMMUNITY.  Bingo-bango.  And again, moving that Community section down is something we'll have to look at and see.

 

EDIT - also, each of those thread listings is a link to that thread.  So the Community Section IS active (or interactive, as it were).  But we hear you - you guys think it would look better at the bottom.  In a lot of ways I agree with you but we have to figure out what to do with that ad, so let us pow-wow on it.  But ultimately, if it stays where it's at don't think it was because we weren't listening.


I meant in my comment that I'd like to see a direct link to the forums. The Community button makes you click again to get to the forums, and to me, it seems needlessly so. I never go to the Community page for anything other than the forums.

post #267 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt poop View Post


I meant in my comment that I'd like to see a direct link to the forums. The Community button makes you click again to get to the forums, and to me, it seems needlessly so. I never go to the Community page for anything other than the forums.

I guess I'm unclear on what you mean - Community is the forums.  It's like your dashboard to the forums as a whole.

post #268 of 427
Too many columns without an indication of what all those lists of articles are. Simplicity is best. One tumblr style feed of latest articles in one big ribbon chronologically, and on the left or right a side bar with text links to article headlines or headlines and summaries.
post #269 of 427
I've repeatedly told you in clear terms how to fix the site and make it priftable again. So how you can say that isn't constructive I don't know. Just because I'm not blindly positive to the small changes you've made?

And Brad, I don't know you, so its hyperbole to say you're terrible at your job, but if you're responsible for the last big update then you effectively killed the site stone dead.
post #270 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGButler View Post

I guess I'm unclear on what you mean - Community is the forums.  It's like your dashboard to the forums as a whole.


To access the list of forums themselves, you have to click Community, and then you can see the forums. I'm proposing having that Forums link right on the home page, along with a drop down menu of all the sub forums (in addition to the actual page that lists them all). Basically, move the current Forums link to the home page so we don't have to first click on the Community link. Just remove a step to access the forums.

post #271 of 427
Nevermind some labels got added to those colums after the fact.

I think it should be news, features and reviews, with news first and most prominent rather than "latest" which unhelpfully jumbles all the content together.
post #272 of 427

The four primary columns are duplicated in Chrome. Or at least they appear to be, I don't know why else you would have four columns that divide into four types of stories and then four more columns that divide into the exact same types below it.

 

 

On the whole, I agree that you should simplify to one column, at least "above the fold." It will give more presence to the top stories on the site. Then maybe two columns when you scroll down. I agree that you should lose the top navigation or at least pare it down (maybe this is where the four story types go), and lose the little scrolling picture article window.

post #273 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt poop View Post


To access the list of forums themselves, you have to click Community, and then you can see the forums. I'm proposing having that Forums link right on the home page, along with a drop down menu of all the sub forums (in addition to the actual page that lists them all). Basically, move the current Forums link to the home page so we don't have to first click on the Community link. Just remove a step to access the forums.

OH I see.  Well, there are a lot of features on that first stop page that a lot of people (myself included) use so we won't be stepping over it.  But thanks for the suggestion!

post #274 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Foster View Post

The four primary columns are duplicated in Chrome. Or at least they appear to be, I don't know why else you would have four columns that divide into four types of stories and then four more columns that divide into the exact same types below it.

 

 

That's a cached version, Tyler.  Refresh a couple of times.

post #275 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGButler View Post

OH I see.  Well, there are a lot of features on that first stop page that a lot of people (myself included) use so we won't be stepping over it.  But thanks for the suggestion!

What about just adding a forums link to the home page while keeping the Community page? I don't want to take away the Community page features that other people use.

post #276 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Foster View Post

The four primary columns are duplicated in Chrome. Or at least they appear to be, I don't know why else you would have four columns that divide into four types of stories and then four more columns that divide into the exact same types below it.

 

 

On the whole, I agree that you should simplify to one column, at least "above the fold." It will give more presence to the top stories on the site. Then maybe two columns when you scroll down. I agree that you should lose the top navigation or at least pare it down (maybe this is where the four story types go), and lose the little scrolling picture article window.

 

I just rejunked all of the cache stuff again.  If you're still not seeing the newer design, try Shift + Refresh.

post #277 of 427
I like the Community page, it's my portal to the site.
post #278 of 427

Looks fine to me so far.  Good stuff.  But I didn't have much of a problem in the first place.  The ensuing debate reminds me that mobile devices are killing the web.  I should get a T-shirt made.

 

What's the thoughts on the forum feed?  Is it coming back?  I used that quite a bit, but I'm not worried particularly.  Its absence might make me use the forums properly instead of stumbling around, forgetting where that thread was I commented in that time.

post #279 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

I like the Community page, it's my portal to the site.

Exactly!

 

Also, guys, keep in mind that all of you have your opinions on what you think would give you the better experience - we all do.  And, as has been demonstrated clearly, those opinions can vary wildly.  Obviously we can't make every single change that every single user suggests simply for that reason - "I don't like x" "Well I like x" etc and so forth.  So what we're doing is listening to you guys and seeing which suggestions make sense with the overall big picture we're trying to accomplish here (and like Brad mentioned above - don't look at what happened today as the be-all, end-all, evolution is a multi-step process) and work them in, even if they're altered slightly or they're merged with other suggestions.

post #280 of 427

I don't want to remove the Community link for anyone! I just want the Forums link next to it.

 

Come on. For little ol' stunt poop. He never hurt anyone. Make stunt poop happy and just stick that forum link next to it. You practically want to already, I can clearly see that. Why not make stunt poop a little happy? That's no big deal, right? Yeah, that's no big deal.

post #281 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzman View Post

What's the thoughts on the forum feed?  Is it coming back?

What exactly do you mean by forum feed?  Is/was this a main page thing or something else?

post #282 of 427
The community link takes you to a page with the most recently updated threads, and you can then from that page click a link that takes you to the official forum layout with all the sub forums (which is also accessible through the drop down menu on the Community page). You should give it a try, Stunt Poop.

The community page is the only part of the site I ever see. I access the articles through the message board too, when threads for them pop up.
post #283 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGButler View Post

What exactly do you mean by forum feed?  Is/was this a main page thing or something else?


Yeah.  But there's a community activity thingy that wasn't there moments ago, so I just can't refresh quick enough or something.

post #284 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

The community link takes you to a page with the most recently updated threads, and you can then from that page click a link that takes you to the official forum layout with all the sub forums (which is also accessible through the drop down menu on the Community page). You should give it a try, Stunt Poop.

The community page is the only part of the site I ever see. I access the articles through the message board too, when threads for them pop up.


Just to make this perfectly clear, I am fully aware of the features of the forum listings on the community page. I know how to access the forums. I can successfully log in to the forums. Can we please all agree that I understand how to access the forms with relative ease and that I do not mischaracterize how accessible the forums are? Or is this an elaborate ruse to make me question my own sanity? I don't know what I'm saying that makes it unclear that I know how to access the forums, subforums, and see the latest posts.

Rather, I just want the forum link and drop down of all the forums page put on the first page. Just plaster that sucker right next to the Community page. Forum access, home page style.

 

Come on. Who are you kidding? It's me, your pal, stunt poop. You want to do it for me. It would be as easy as drinking a soda pop. A nice, fresh can of soda pop. Just pull the tab and enjoy a delicious beverage. Would it make you feel better if I got you a refreshing can of soda pop? I sure know I can be a grouch when I don't have some cold soda pop.

post #285 of 427

You bring me a soda pop and we'll talk.

post #286 of 427

I like it. A lot. Lots of content to sift through, I think my only concern is the limited amount of 'Very Latest' as I can see stuff dropping out of it quickly after a full day which just sends me back to the forum to find all the new content.

 

Which, I guess, isn't really much of an issue for me.

post #287 of 427

Love this! Definitely a big improvement!

post #288 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Jarvie View Post

I like it. A lot. Lots of content to sift through, I think my only concern is the limited amount of 'Very Latest' as I can see stuff dropping out of it quickly after a full day which just sends me back to the forum to find all the new content.

 

Which, I guess, isn't really much of an issue for me.

Yeah I've had some of the same thoughts, but when you scroll down past the Community thing having everything laid out by category I think is a big plus. PLUS - if you're looking for home page navigation to content, you can click on the category up top in the nav and hit "More" to see older stuff.

post #289 of 427

A clickable "More" link under each of the categories in the columns would probably be a good idea as well.

post #290 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Bob Plissken View Post

A clickable "More" link under each of the categories in the columns would probably be a good idea as well.

That's something we should definitely do.

post #291 of 427

I like the new features on the drop down menu for the forums, like "Hot" and "I've Posted". The latter in particular will make it easy to jump back into conversations I'm having.

post #292 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGButler View Post

That's something we should definitely do.

 

Just as a goof, respond to one of my recent posts with this and act on it. It would be a total goof and no one should take it seriously. Just imagine what a joke it would be to randomly agree that the forums should be listed on the home page and just do it. It would be so funny! It would be like a prank that everyone would be in on as we all play along.

 

I'd put on a sweater and glasses and be like, "Me oh my, there's a forums link on the home page of CHUD! What a novelty! My sweet magnolia, Kristin, would be delighted to know that I am taking part in extended buffoonery with my fellow CHUD posters and just access the forums directly from the home page of CHUD, like a couple of wild injuns. Oh, how my dear grandfather would regale us with stories of the aboriginals!"

 

We would laugh so much at the goofy and obviously insincere attempt to make the forums directly accessible, with a single click, from the home page. We'd laugh and laugh, and after a while, we'd just sort of keep it as a fixture of how jocular we can be amid each other, like a college fraternity that makes all members wear an emblem of a chicken speaking Spanish on their shirts.  "¡Sí, sí, señor! ¡Me gustaría hacer tamales en la cocina por mis compañeros de trabajo!"

 

We will pass the tradition down, generation to generation. History will become myth. Myth will become legend. Our children's children will tell wild tales of how the forums became directly accessible from the home page around camp fires. No one will be sure how it started. Did anyone seriously want forums directly linked on the home page? Could anyone be of such whimsy that they'd lobby for such a thing, and expect to be taken seriously? Wouldn't they just identify themselves as a pariah and veritable court jester? It would be open season on such a naive fool!

 

"Now, now," stunt poop IV would tell his beloved boy, perched over his bed. "People forget that we need fools. Too few fools out there, flying around like that, saving old girls like me."

 

"But, a fool doesn't work hard! A fool doesn't know when to stop, and carries things way too far in a pathetic attempt to work out his neuroses in the face of people he-"

 

"stunt Robert anal penis farting poop IV! I am addressing you by your Christian name because I did not raise you to speak of others in such disrepute! I think you've been indulging the sweets too much, and that sweet, sweet sugar is going straight to your skull and dulling your keen intellect."

 

"But..."

 

"Was it not a fool whose portrait you have by your beside who said, 'Sit on my couch. My chillastic couch. And chill out.'?"

 

"Come on, pa, you know I didn't mea-"

 

"Was it not a fool, who defied the wisdom of his time and said, 'The jerkstore just called, and they're running out of you!"?

 

"Ok, pa, I understand."

 

"I know. I love you, son. May the days of men be blessed."

 

stunt poop III kissed his son good night. In the minutes that followed, the boy dutifully fell asleep.

 

The elder stunt poop sat in awe of the beauty of his sleeping child. The sight, bittersweet! For he knows the day will come when his boy's innocence will yield to worldly wisdom.

 

"Some day," quietly reflected stunt poop the elder. "Some day, you will learn. As I have learned, from my father. As he learned, from his father. The story of the man who dared to move the forums to a link on the home page of CHUD is no mere myth. Myths come and go, and they pass out of favor with the times. But we poops are not concerned with the times. You think you're like the rest of the world, my child. You may wish to be. But have in you and your name something different. For it was no mere fool who unleashed forum access to the home page, but a great fool. He didn't disappear, but carried on in his child. And he, in his child. And he, in you. My only son."

 

No one's really sure what became of the stunt poops. Some say they were frauds. Some say they were prophets. Some, they didn't exist at all. But legend has it that the line continues. And we can live in hope that the line will rise to great foolishness once again. May we all visit movie news websites that have forums linked directly on their home page, and browse as the ancients did!

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

So JGButler, wouldn't it be funny to do that, just as a goof? You could even tell people, "I goofed ya, ya dope!" It would be hilarious. I think the comedic potential alone warrants putting a link to the forum on the home page of CHUD makes the whole idea worth while.

post #293 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGButler View Post

Yeah I've had some of the same thoughts, but when you scroll down past the Community thing having everything laid out by category I think is a big plus. PLUS - if you're looking for home page navigation to content, you can click on the category up top in the nav and hit "More" to see older stuff.

 

Oh definitely. There are so many unclicked links, its great.Thanks to you and everyone involved, seriously.

post #294 of 427

The new site is looking a lot better, if you're running with the "full page" look, then this is probably the best way to go. It looks comparable, usability wise to something like http://www.empireonline.com/.

 

The arial black type really works, much better than the decayed one used on the menu right now and should be implemented across the site. I know you're sticking with the white on black, but the one thing you should listen to me about is reducing the colour so it doesn't swallow vision quite as much. Taking it from #000000 to #131313 softens everything substantially and worth doing. 

 

I still think you should change the header as I suggested, especially moving all the business type things to the top, with the chud, log in and search bar. Possibly make the film strip larger, get some kind of script in their from scrolling would help too. If not, just put more images in it.

 

Also, make sure you add some simple looking social media buttons to the menu, rather than the generic ones that are on the site right now. 

 

This is the last I'll say on the matter, but it's meant as practical, if blunt, advice. 

post #295 of 427

I think something that needs to be included somewhere is a link to see all articles chronologically (sort of a master "more" button). The old site had the bar on the side of the page which was my principle "what articles haven't I read" link; I just mean something like that so we can catch up when we want to see the articles we've missed.

post #296 of 427
I'm really liking the current iteration. It's works much better on an iPad, much less scrolling. The Community Activity in particular is light years better than the old endless sidebar of the same repeated thread titles. Once the header is reduced in size a bit I think we'll be 90% of the way there.

Would it be worth commenting on the posting schedule for articles at this point. The DVD reviews have a habit of appearing en masse and wiping out the latest news section. Could they at least be a bit more staggered?
post #297 of 427
Props to the design team to taking the site in a major step forward.
Just got a few questions:

Can we get some of the old classic features like the chud wo/man?

What happened to the quotes? I know it was on the bottom originally, now just gone.

What happened to knowing if Dolph was in a film?

Uncle Mitch, MIA?



(okay lame reason to use that gif, I know the majority of the site is in black)

Request:
I wish I could rep people in the comments section of the articles.
post #298 of 427
I like the new look, too. While I visit the front page often enough that I can take in the whole linear list of articles and know where I left off reading, categorizing posts the way you've done will likely prove more inviting and easy on the eye to anyone seeing the site for the first time.
post #299 of 427

Quick two cents. First I'd like to say that this is a really great step in the right direction. As others have stated, I would also like a little more simplicity and less columns but since they are there, I have worked with them rather than an overhaul of a suggestion. I would love to see the community chatter right there on the side up at the top with the rest of the "NEW" stuff that's been added. Chatter is new and it is the life blood of the site. Why bury it a screen down? Also, that film strip with the photos has never really worked for me personally and I feel like it clutters the top of the site. So anyway, here is a suggestion:

 

 

 

 

post #300 of 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Q View Post

I would love to see the community chatter right there on the side up at the top with the rest of the "NEW" stuff that's been added. Chatter is new and it is the life blood of the site. Why bury it a screen down?

 

I completely agree this statement. I'd also like to suggest that if there was a way of having the most recent community posts update in real-time on the home page, it would help to show new visitors how alive this site can be during peak hours. Imagine coming to CHUD for the first time and seeing that there have been seven comments in the forum about a new article... oh wait, there's another...... and another..... You'd realize the site has a thriving community that loves discussing movie news, and would want to stick around, right?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: CHUD.COM Main
CHUD.com Community › Forums › THE MAIN SEWER › CHUD.COM Main › NEW HOMEPAGE DESIGN DISCUSSION